This guide explores the different methods staff can use to restrict student access to content on Learning Space. Each of the solutions below assume that editing has been enabled by clicking the 'Edit mode' slider (top right).
- Video guide
- Completely hide content from all students
- Completely hide content from groups of students
- Completely hide content based on the date and time
- Further support
Watch the video guide for an example of adding an access restriction to content. In this case it is a restriction based on student groups, but a restriction can be set by date and time, grade, user profile or a combination of these.
Completely hide content from all students
To hide a section, file or activity from a student locate the item on the page, click the 3-dot icon at the end of the row and select 'Hide'.
Completely hide content from groups of students
Important: This section assumes you have set up groups in your module/course. Refer to the groups guide for more information.
1. To completely hide content from a group of students, locate the activity, file or section, click the 3-dot icon at the end of the row and select the 'Edit' option (e.g. Edit section or Edit settings).
2. Scroll down, click to expand the 'Restrict access' section, and then click 'Add restriction'.
3. Next select 'Group' (This option will only be available if you have already created groups).
4. Finally select the group of students you want to have access to the content and click 'Save Changes'.
IMPORTANT: To make content invisible to all students who are not in group B, you must click the eye icon to ensure it has a cross through it. If you want students to be able to see content but not access it, then untick the eye icon.
5. Once your changes have been saved you will see a 'Restricted' message under the section title as shown below.
Completely hide content using the date and time
Important: This section details a simple example of restricting access to content using date and time. For more detailed instruction, please refer to the guide: Restrict access to content by date and time.
1. To completely hide content from students until a given date and time, locate the activity, file or section, click the 3-dot icon at the end of the row and select the 'Edit' option (e.g. Edit section or Edit settings).
2. Scroll down and click to expand the 'Restrict access' section, then click 'Add restriction'.
3. Next select 'Date'.
4. You can now set date and time restrictions by using a combination of the drop down menu options 'must / must not' and 'from / until'.
The eye icon can be used to create conditions for hiding the resource.
- If the eye icon is SHUT then students who do not meet that part of the condition will not see the activity at all.
- If the eye icon is OPEN the students who do not meet that part of the condition will see the activity but it will be greyed out and have information about why they can't access it yet.
Tip: The shut eye takes precedence. For example, you could have 2 conditions, one based on date (with eye shut) and one based on completing a previous activity (with eye open). That way, the activity will not appear at all until the date; then it will appear, but with information telling a student they need to complete the other activity first.
Note: Further restrictions may be added by clicking the 'Add restriction' button again. This is an advanced setting, and it is recommended you contact email@example.com for guidance and support with this feature if it is something you are interested in using.
Once your changes have been saved you will see a 'Restricted' message beneath the section title. If the eye was shut then not only will the resource be restricted but it will also be hidden, this will be indicated by text in brackets within the restriction message.
Note: If a resource is restricted the message a student sees will inform them of this, whereas if a resource is restricted and hidden a student will not see the resource at all.
For further support on Learning Space, or to report any issues with this guide, please get in touch with the Digital Learning Team via firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, please refer to the numerous help guides found on our Knowledge Base.