This guide provides a simple checklist of steps to help you create great videos. It’s split into four sections covering the entire process required for creating engaging video content.
- What do you want your students to learn? Why are you making this video? Does the content align to the module learning outcomes?
- Short videos maximise engagement. We recommend keeping the video length between 10-20 minutes.
- Visually connect with your audience. Add a talking head webcam to the bottom corner of your video so your students can see and connect with you.
- Do you need a script? Not relying on a script can make the content flow in a natural manner, similar to a live lecture. If you do want to use a script, consider using two screens to read the script or print it out.
- Prepare everything on your computer: Open relevant applications, files and have your slides ready.
Video guide. This video explains the best practice for preparing, creating and uploading your video content.
- Remove background noise. Shut your windows and doors to isolate your environment and improve the audio.
- Set all notifications to off. Where possible silence all notifications to avoid distractions.
- Don't share personal data. Ensure there is nothing open on your computer that could reveal personal data about you or someone else.
- Webcam framing. Sit 2 feet away from the camera, avoid angles looking up towards your head and remove distractions in the background.
- Lighting is important. Ensure your face is well lit. Avoid sitting in front of a window.
- Finish with an action. Always have an action at the end of each video. Something simple like posing a question or offering a reflection exercise.
Video guide. This video explains how to use Teams to record lectures and make them available in Learning Space.
- Upload your video to Stream. If you have made your video using Teams this will happen automatically. If not you will need to visit Stream and upload it.
- Find your video. Find your video on Stream in the tab entitled 'My Content'. From here you can share and edit permissions and captions.
- Sharing your video. Once you've found your video, click the pencil icon, and under permissions tick the box titled Allow everyone in your company to view this.
- Captioning. Review and edit the captioning if necessary, using the editing window in Stream.
- Add a link from Learning Space. Add a URL activity from your Learning Space module directing your students to the video.
Video guide. This video explains some of the features within Stream to make your video content more accessible.
For detailed guidance on some of the topics outlined above please view the following resources:
For further support on Learning Space, or to report any issues with this guide, please get in touch with the Digital Learning Team via email@example.com. Alternatively, please refer to the numerous help guides found on our Knowledge Base.